Thursday, November 6, 2008

Great Moment In Cheap Eats: Welsh Rabbit

Grilled cheese, like so many cheap meals, is also quintessential comfort food. Who among us hasn't enjoyed a grilled cheese when we were at our littlest, or our brokest, or our middle-of-the-night-college-drunkest? Grilled cheese, besides being the affordable kind of default, pantry-staple dinner or snack we can count on, is just plain good eating.

But, while reliably tasty, grilled cheese is lacking a certain something in the excitement department. It is, sometimes, a smidgen boring. The cheesy answer? (Lactose intolerant readers, avert your eyes.)

MELTY
Welsh Rabbit! Welsh Rabbit is basically an open-face grilled cheese sandwich, but the cheese is melty and boozy and spicy, sort of like a robust fondue. It utilizes any variety of flat or past-its-prime booze you happen to have around the house: traditional Rabbit calls for flat ale or beer, but I use leftover white wine most often.

old booze
I'm telling you: undrinkable wine never had it this good.

And why is it called Welsh Rabbit? It is a joke, a joke that is likely at the expense of the Welsh. (Welsh readers, avert your eyes.) According the aged tomes of Ye Olde Wikipedia:
It may be an ironic name coined in the days when the Welsh were notoriously poor: only better-off people could afford butcher's meat, and while in England rabbit was the poor man's meat, in Wales the poor man's meat was cheese. It may be a slur against the Welsh, since the dish contains no meat and so was considered inferior. Then again, because the word Welsh was at the time used by the English to describe anything inferior or foreign, it may allude to the dish's Continental European origin.
To recap: obscure English cultural joke, vague Euro-flair, booze, spices, cheese. Welsh Rarebit has it all!

recipe
Side note: you see some cookbooks refer to this dish as Welsh Rarebit, but as grammarian H.W. Fowler stated in the 1936 edition of the Dictionary of Modern English Usage, "Welsh Rabbit is amusing and right. Welsh Rarebit is stupid and wrong."

Glad we settled that, then. On to the Welsh Rabbit!

makeshift double-boiler
First, you'll need a double boiler or, in the true spirit of broke-ass ingenuity, you can make your own with a medium saucepan and a metal mixing bowl. Bring an inch or so of water to a boil in the saucepan and let the mixing bowl warm up.

a tablespoon or two
Carve off one tablespoon of butter...

buttah
...and add it to the mixing bowl.

one cup of booze
Once the butter is melting, round up a cup of beer or wine and add that to the bowl, too.

booze and butter
Warm the butter and beer, being sure to savor the exquisite, hedonistic aroma of warm, buttery booze. Try not to drink it.

cheee
While the liquid is warming, grate about three cups (or one pound) of a nice, sharp Cheddar.

sprinkle in cheese
Gradually add the cheese to the warm beer, stirring constantly with a fork until melted and fairly smooth.

whisk an egg
Now, quickly add one lightly beaten egg, one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and some dry spices, which you'll want to have all pre-measured, like this...

spices
...which will both prevent you from leaving your cheese unattended and make you feel like the host of your own low-to-medium budget Food Network show. The spices include a little sweet paprika, dry mustard, curry powder, salt and a pinch of cayenne.

whisking in spices
Whisk everything together and cook for about a minute, until the cheese sauce thickens slightly.

toast
Grab some toasty, crusty slices of bread...

all in a row
...and pour your Rabbit sauce over the top. If you like pepper, why not go nuts and grind a little over the top? We're living now!

salad FOR HEALTH
I like to serve Welsh Rabbit with a green salad and tart vinaigrette, you know, for health and as a palette cleanser during this...

CHEESY
...whole situation. This dish really does scratch some primal, juvenile itch, that craving for unadulterated hot cheese and warm bread, rich and sharp and crunchy and smooth all at once. The egg gives the sauce a particularly nice texture (just look at that ooze!) and the Worcestershire, curry, and mustard give it some surprising complexity. All this goodness after about five minutes of work!

And, above all, this recipe is absolutely perfect for all those rainy, lazy Sunday afternoons when you find yourself just fresh out of rabbit.

(Click here for print-ready recipe.)

Welsh Rabbit (or Rarebit)
Serves 4 to 6

3 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
1 T. butter
1 cup flat beer, ale, white wine, or champagne*
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. salt
1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. curry powder
a pinch of ground red pepper
8 slices of toasted bread

Fill bottom of double boiler with an inch of water, bring to a boil. Melt butter in top of a double boiler. Add cup of beer (or wine) and heat until warm. Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly with a fork until melted and smooth. Add egg, Worcestershire, salt, and dry spices. Cook sauce, stirring constantly, for one to two minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Pour cheese over toast and serve.

*If you'd prefer not to use alcohol or don't have any alcohol on hand, you can substitute tomato juice for the beer and make a "Blushing Bunny." Very virtuous, still tasty.

47 comments:

  1. Interesting, I have never heard of leftover white wine -- or any spirit. Where might one procure that? *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel - I think I love you!

    Your gorgeous photos.

    Your yummy meal ideas - oh good grief - I will be making the chicken pot pie for sure - the Welsh Rabbit for husband and I.

    Thank you for this wonderful blog idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ... I always wondered what welsh rarebit was but never remembered to look it up. Now I know and in such beautiful photographs.
    So far, this site gets you two excited utensils up! I love this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm yummy! I just came over from Mrs. G's, and this looks fabulous, and lazy, which is good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great blog idea! Everyone could use some good cheap recipes these days. I'm going to try Welsh Rabbit now...now that I know it doesn't contain rabbit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Melanie! It's beautiful! Clearly, you were meant to do this blog!

    Also, I'm Welsh. Am officially offended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this blog will be a hit for sure.

    It's way classier than my food site. www.HalfAssedKitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, wine and cheese together!! Are you trying to kill me, girl?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scooting up to the table from Mrs. G.'s. This looks so yummy and thanks for including the non-alcohol tip at the end. I'm such a lame teetotaler that it's nice to see the substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you learn something every day! Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs. G led the way - and I hate to admit, but I am staying awhile....
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leftover wine?

    The *only* time I've ever heard of Welsh Rabbit was on Looney Tunes! But now, I'll be giving it a shot. I'm having brunch for my girlfriends in a week and I think this'll be PERFECT!

    I love your site! I'm here from Derfwad's Manor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited, your food has always looked so good! One tiny request: could you possibly attach some sort of printable recipe format? So that I don't have to keep running from my kitchen to my computer desk? I tend to burn things that way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a awesome site! So glad Mrs. G pointed the way. Consider yourself bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm on weight watchers...this just is not fair. LOL That looks soooo yummy.

    Mel
    www.shezarealgem.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY! It's sort of like a dream come true, your photography and food? I might faint. Rarebit reminds me of my Grandmother something fierce. She absolutely loved it, although she used bourbon in hers which seems odd. Guess my Gram liked a little "stronger" flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the very first dish I learned to make way back in Home Economics in the mid 60's!!

    I still love it. Anything made with melted cheese is good.

    Great looking blog! I'll visit a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This does sound like a wonderful comfort food. Congratulations on the new blog. Wishing you lots of success and yummy moments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my. And just when I was thinking of going vegan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh yum. This looks heavenly.

    I will be back and often (thanks Mrs G).

    Oh and I do love Mrs G's Derwad theme page, especially the recent revamp in muted olive greens and browns. Looks fabu. And I like Johnny D in his more visible location!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks everyone so much for visiting!

    And, at Mary's great suggestion, I've added a print-ready PDF of the recipe.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yum! And do you KNOW how many grilled cheese sandwiches I ate on my trip to the east coast??

    Reality check--nobody cared about my vegetarian ass. So glad to be home in tofu world.

    I. am. making. this. today.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woo-hoo! My mom made this but with roux instead of booze. And we just called it cheese on toast. Who knew we were really being "international".

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you really want to push the boat out, put a fried egg on top! This is called 'Buck Rarebit'.

    ReplyDelete
  25. More beanpaste, ala beanplate.

    My cup runneth over, the market be damned.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome! I heart BOTH Melanie and cooking blogs. And with the economy in the shitter, what could BE a better idea? Yay! Don't forget to teach me how to make yummy biscuits. Comfort food in tough times, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's Welsh Rarebit? Bossy learns something new every day. If she's lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i'm not the first to say it, but what is this "leftover wine" stuff? never heard of such a thing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wish I were making this up, but it's true:

    I just salivated so much reading this post that I drooled. On my shirt.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Here via Mrs G, here to stay because of your wit and recipes! You nearly lost me on the "past its prime booze" because there never is such a thin in our house. We drink every last drop. But you won me back when you wrote, "Warm the butter and beer, being sure to savor the exquisite, hedonistic aroma of warm, buttery booze. Try not to drink it." Amen, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Girl you rock. I can't wait to hunt me some wabbit!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this blog -- and I hate cooking. But I feel moved, nay, compelled to try to murder Welsh Rabbit for dinner tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have recipes! I am delighted!
    Making Rabit with booze? Lot better than the flour and cheese powder my mom used to use!
    Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I will definitely try it--you make me feel like cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hmmm...I wonder if sake would work...have some left over from---somewhere...will give it a shot! Your photos are beautiful...not just anyone can make food look as delicious as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So. Hungry. Must. Not. Eat. Computer. Screen. Which would probably not taste like Welsh anything, particularly Rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I will do everything you say. And Stu will be happy. Joy in the land.

    You are a goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  38. When I was in college at Ole Miss I had a cooking class and we made Welsh Rabbit. Will never forget learning to make this wonderful dish.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am not the first to write it, but this blog is a beautiful thing. Welsh Rabbit is a staple in our kitchen (and in my mother-in-law's kitchen) on Sunday evenings also, traditionally known as "dibs and dabs" dinner night. There's nothing quite like sitting around the old table, woodstove cranked to inferno, crusty bread and Welsh Rabbit and good, dark, English tea by the mugfuls. It's so great that you included this wonderful meal on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I was skeptical that this would taste good, but my husband insisted that we try this. We loved it and so did our neighbors who came for dinner. This is definitely one we'll add to our regular rotation!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yum! I made this for lunch today. I did it with wine but I can't wait to try this with a good beer.

    ReplyDelete
  42. 情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛情色文學,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,AVDVD,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,成人論壇免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

    ReplyDelete
  43. Does this actually qualify as a cheap eat? A whole pound of good, sharp Cheddar cheese ... beer or wine ... these are not things I classify as "cheap". :/

    ReplyDelete
  44. Definitely beliеνe that ωhich yοu said.
    Υouг favоrite justification appеаred
    to be οn the net the еaѕіest thing
    to be аware of. I say to уοu,
    I сertainly get irκeԁ while people
    сonsіder worries that theу just ԁοn't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

    my homepage :: bucket truck

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello, all is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that's actually good, keep up writing.

    Here is my website ... free online slot play with bonus

    ReplyDelete
  46. I do not even understand how I ended up right here, however I thought this submit used to be great.

    I don't know who you might be however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger should you are not already. Cheers!

    Feel free to surf to my homepage; laser cellulite treatment

    ReplyDelete