Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 4: White Bean & Chorizo Soup

Behold: the return of the Beans! Sorry for the break, folks; life gets messy, just like a plate of you-know-whats. Let's pick right up, shall we? Prepare for Breakneck 30 Days of Beans. One bean recipe, every weekday, for the next 25 days!

white bean and chorizo soup
Next up: a quick-cooking, flavorful soup of white beans, chorizo, tomatoes, onion and celery in a light broth. This soup is exactly the kind of thing I like to eat: hot, spicy, and filled with suggestive-looking meat. (I keed.)

chorizo
First of all: I didn't feel good about these raw chorizo pictures on many levels. I debated about even posting them, but...here for your edification: raw chorizo. Lurid, I know. If graphic tube meats give you the vapors, this soup also tastes great with smoked bacon or no meat at all: just cook the veggies in some extra olive oil. Now, let's get down to beany business, shall we?


chunky chorizo
First, we handle some meat. Either pull off the chorizo casings and crumble the meat or cook them whole and chop them up later: your choice. Render the fat from the chorizo in a little bit of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stock pot set over medium-high heat. After about seven to ten minutes, remove and drain chorizo on a paper towel. (I will spare you the greasy orange paper towel photos.)

onion
While the chorizo cooks, dice one sweet onion...

celery
...and chop four or five stalks of celery.

onions and celery
Add the onion and celery to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the celery is tender and the onion is beginning to nicely caramelize. Add two cloves of chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly to avoid scorched, acrid Garlic of Failure, for one minute.

add broth
Now add about 8 cups of chicken stock...

diced tomato
...and one 15 ounce can diced tomatoes for a little color and acidity to wake up the beans. Once the broth is warm...

white beans
...bring in the beans. You'll need about three cups of white beans. If you're short on time, canned is fine. Just rinse them thoroughly before adding to the pot.

soup
Bring to soup to a gentle simmer, add the chorizo back to the pot, and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes. Check your seasoning and add salt and black pepper to taste. Nice, but not mandatory: garnishing with a handful of chopped, flat-leaf parsley for color and brightness of flavor.

white bean and chorizo
Voila. This is one of those quick, under one hour recipes that tastes like you cooked all day, particularly without expensive, processed convenience foods. Or weird mugging from Rachael Ray. Enjoy.

spoonful

White Bean and Chorizo Soup from BeanPlate

serves about 8

1 lb. beef and pork chorizo (or smoked bacon)
2 tsp. olive oil
1 large sweet onion, diced
4 ribs of celery, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 cups low-sodium or homemade chicken broth
3 cans of Great Northern (or any small white) beans
kosher salt
freshly-ground pepper
flat-leaf parsley, minced for garnish

Pull off the chorizo casings and crumble the meat. Render the fat from the chorizo in a little bit of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stock pot set over medium-high heat. After about seven to ten minutes, remove chorizo from pot and drain on a paper towel.

While the chorizo cooks, dice onion and slice celery. After removing chorizo, add onion and celery to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the celery is tender and the onion is beginning to nicely caramelize. Add two cloves of chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly to avoid burning, for one minute.

Add chicken stock and tomatoes to pot. Bring soup to a simmer and add beans and chorizo. Once beans are warmed through, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped parsley before serving.

18 comments:

  1. did I miss where you add the chorizo back? or do you really leave it out at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, delicious. I wonder if my kidlets would give this a go. I say yes.

    [So very lovely to see you back here.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see you back. I understand life getting in the way, so many things happen that are out of our control. This looks like a wonderful soup. I think I'm going to try it for dinner tomorrow. Look forward to future recipes. I have beans galore right now because of the WIC program and I need to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're back--and with such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth! Great catch! I owe you one.

    I've adjusted the recipe accordingly, and will try to stop writing in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Greasy Orange is all flavoursome goodness. Leave it in I say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to love chorizo, but I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! I'm hoping to give this a try this weekend.

    I totally get the whole life getting in the way thing.

    Any hope of getting a print-ready version of this recipe, pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am happy for your return. As a vegetarian, I will give a veggie version of this recipe a try ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the words of the Interwebs, "nom, nom, nom." This sounds delish - as all your recipes do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my favorite things to make! But after cooking the onions & chorizo, I divide the lot into 4...I don't like much meat in the soup, but I love the flavouring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i fink those are the most perfickly diced onions i have evah seen X

    ReplyDelete
  13. My cousin just sent me to your site and I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back; thanks for the beany goodness -- the family will think I'm brilliant.

    Sharon H. in IL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two of my favorite foods, right here! Yummmy! I think beans are so underrated. The smell of chorizo in the morning is always divine.

    You have an awesome blog, btw :)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh yum. glad you are back. keep the beans coming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This soup is amazing, even as a beef eater I cook it up vegan style and it is AMAZING. Definitly a family favorite. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete